What is the semantic core?
This concept means groups of words and phrases that can most accurately not only describe the products and services presented on the site, but also the activity as a whole, and also lead the target visitor to the site. To put it simply, it’s a set of those words with the help of which every person can understand what your portal is about.
Thanks to special services, you can see statistics on the frequency of certain queries entered by users in search engines.
How to compose a sc?
Drafting can be done both independently and with the help of a contractor. You can do it manually, but it takes a long time. It is optimal to use special tools, and some of them work absolutely free.
The list of services and applications for collecting:
- Google Analytics, Yandex.Metrica, LiveInternet should be used if you already have a long-running site and visitors to it. Data is collected from proprietary analytical systems;
- Mutagen, KeyBooster, RooStat – paid services with ready-made databases;
- Prodvigator, TopVisor, SimilarWeb, Alexa – tools for analyzing competitors on a paid basis;
- Everyone knows Slovoeb, Magadan and KeyCollector;
- Yandex plugins for collecting semantics.
We will understand the main types of search queries.
There is such an interesting concept – intent. The thought in your head can have completely different meanings. For example, the well-known case with a golden ring. You enter two words in a line, understanding for yourself that you need a tour or information about the area, and the system gives you jewelry stores or vice versa.
Therefore, when collecting semantics, you need to select those keys that fully reveal your topic. It is very easy to determine the intent with a small AX yourself – type in the search and see what it gives you. For large volumes, it is better to use special programs.
Determine if your location is important to the user. From here the content of the request will “dance”.
- Dependent on geography – the product is needed only in a certain place. Example: “buy a chaise lounge Moscow”;
- Location-independent – regional affiliation does not matter much.
For information requests, for example, the location does not matter at all. If the user is looking for a borscht recipe, then what’s the difference, cooked it in Ufa or London? An exception may be the search for the address or phone number of the organization or branch.
Regionality is taken into account only when you conduct work only in a certain region. This is typical of commercial requests to a greater extent. Let’s say you are the owner of a garbage collection service in Kharkov. It is clear here that working with an audience from Donetsk is at least unreasonable.
Degree of popularity
- High frequency – this includes short queries such as “clothes”, “lawn mower”, “advertising”, etc.
- Medium in frequency – two-syllable with refinement, for example, “mobile phone”, “jewelry”, “outerwear”.
- Low-frequency – such queries help narrow down your search, are more accurate and quickly display on the desired page with the desired one – “LG LCD TV”, “xiaomi mobile phone”.
- With ultra-low frequency – the most accurate and productive. For example, “xiaomi mi 8 mobile phone” and so on.
With a high frequency of requests, there are very few. Most of the pages of online stores are tailored to low frequency queries.
- Informative – under this type of request, as a rule, articles, reviews and blogs are written. For online shopping sites are not very popular.
- By navigation – this type leads specifically to the site. For example, a user searches for your organization or brand, so he simply drives the name in the search bar and gets to the site.
- By categories and commodity – leads to the catalog or to the card of the desired product.
- Commercial or transactional – contain the words “buy”, “order”, “cost”, “inexpensive” and so on.
For news portals, informational ones will be the most important, for commercial ones.
Users whom you attract using such requests are more likely to buy a product or read a written publication on an interesting topic for them.
Free collection of semantic core for the portal
Whatever the list of requests, you can collect them. Having only a browser in its arsenal, since statistics tools do not require payment for this service. You can use plugins to speed up and simplify the task.
Let’s go through step by step how to do it.
We will immediately consider the most time-consuming option – collecting NW for a trading resource. Imagine that you need to collect semantics for a clothing store in Kharkov.
We will use Yandex.Wordstat and Slovoeb for this – these are the most popular free services.
The first step is to determine the categories of goods. Distribute products by brand, type and type. In our case, it can be women’s, men’s, children’s clothes, whether it’s winter in other seasons, shoes, accessories, a dimensional grid.
Analyze the structure of competitors. Oddly enough, but this method is very useful. Sometimes it’s really better to slightly copy the catalog view from the search engine leaders for your topic. See which keys can be used for page headers and filters. Install the plugin for Yandex. In Wordstat, you can collect the ten most important phrases and copy them to the clipboard. Try not to take queries that are not suitable for type, for example, informational, words of foreign brands.
The method is suitable for a small site, for other options we use “Slovoeb”. Here it will be necessary to give a name to the created project and choose a region for it. In one column you will see requests, and in the other their frequency, according to statistics.
The program works fully automatically and will produce more than a hundred results. And now for the fun part. There are many requests, but they will need to be checked and manually sorted. What can you do, robot, he is also a robot in Africa. Among the issuance will be many inappropriate, for example, non-commercial keys.
Semantics is needed in order to clearly distribute the contents of the portal. This applies not only to online stores, but also to information resources, news sites, blogs. Thus, the user will be able to observe the logic in building the site, it will be convenient for him to use and interesting.
The collected mass of keys should subsequently be divided into clusters. These are the so-called groups by similar requests. Here, at the very beginning, requests are divided into informational and commercial, groups for landings are also allocated.
It is commercial, as a rule, that are clustered relative to the structure of the site. Again, if the core is small, you can handle it manually. If it consists of several thousand words, you need to use special programs.
Clustering in itself is very useful, because it allows you to solve two important problems:
- grouping by meaning, depending on what the user will do and what he wants;
- checking the compatibility of requests, makes it possible to promote them on one page.
Key groups are divided into categories, sections, etc. For any resource, a clear and understandable structure for the user should appear. For example, for an online store, it might look like this:
- Main page-categories-section-additional subsection-group-product card.
- For the information portal, the scheme is approximately the same, only for articles and publications.
An example of high-quality clustering will be the case when in a single set of words several short-circuits intersect, similar in topic and semantic content.
Thus, if you monitor the structure, you will notice that the search area begins to narrow and becomes more accurate.
To summarize the above
Collecting SC is the basis for promoting any web resource. It doesn’t matter what format you provide, engage in active sales or keep a blog with recipes, users should find your portal easily and quickly. The greater the compliance with key queries, the more likely it is to get into the TOP of search results. Carefully approach page optimization so as not to hang out in the back rows, but to be right on the front pages.
You can do the collection yourself, we have already talked about this. But it is worth remembering that the success of the site depends on the quality of the core. Mistakes made will be more difficult to correct subsequently. Therefore, if you are not sure that you can do everything accurately, do not take risks and turn to professionals.
We hope that this article was useful not only for beginners, but also for SEO specialists. We wish you high positions and traffic! Further you will find a lot of useful and interesting information!