Website Optimization for Mobile Devices
It is difficult to imagine life without a mobile phone or tablet. What we do not do with these devices is sitting on social networks, having conversations, ordering food, buying clothes, listening to music and watching movies. And this is only a small part of all the possible actions that can be done thanks to “pocket friends”.
Based on the foregoing, the question “Do I need site optimization for mobile devices?” Immediately finds a logical answer. It is foolish to believe that the development of a resource in one direction, that is, the creation of an interface for computers, will bring any result. No, the effect, of course, will be, but with absolute certainty it can be said that it will be negligible when compared with competitors who did not miss the opportunity to invest in financing the creation of a mobile version. And all this is because if you analyze the latest information, it becomes clear that the main traffic flow falls precisely on smartphones and tablets.
The rhythm of life over the past five to ten years has become such that it is more often possible to observe a mobile phone user who has long been adapted not only to make calls, but also to carry out a huge amount of work for us, than a person who carries a bulky laptop with him everywhere.
Of course, for owners of web sites such optimization is not only financial costs, but also the additional amount of work and time spent on it. However, in the end, such an investment allows you to receive good dividends and pays for itself very quickly.
Why do I need a mobile version?
The usual statistics can very simply answer this question, which, in addition to everything else, will serve as an excellent motivation for speedy actions.
- In 2015, global growth in mobile traffic began. The development of new models of mobile devices has taken a big step forward, which was the impetus for many users. This year can be safely considered a reference point.
- In 2016, the percentage of people who still prefer to use exclusively personal computers and those who prefer phones is the same. Since then, the number of “mobile users” has only increased, and the number of people who do not touch the PC at all has reached about 20% of all network users.
- Popular search engines began to change the ranking and indexing mechanism and take into account the degree of website optimization for mobile devices.
This is the data that was processed several years ago, that is, now the trend towards smartphones has only increased. What does this mean for the owner of the resource, which acts only in full format? Everything is simple. A significant, one might even say a large, part of the traffic goes to competitors who keep up with the times. In short, if you are not going to do such an optimization, then you can safely forget about the success of your business. The whole business process will be more like survival rather than making money.
It has already been said above that the standards for ranking resources are changing. If earlier the search bot considered only sites for the computer version, now there is a separate one on whose shoulders is assigned the verification of mobile versions. Consider the main stages of the optimization task.
Such a promotion has its own nuances. They are primarily associated with the technical side and the management system. Here is an approximate list of what you will face:
- Usability – usability and ease of interaction. Everything is simple and clear here. Remember what is most annoying when you open a web page on your phone? The inability to just get to the right button, the endless “fit” with your fingers of the picture under the screen so that you can read, download speed and much more. In short, the “olds” remember all this uncomfortable horror.
- All information that the user receives is tied to a location. Thus, a regional binding on requests occurs.
- A solid part of the work will be added for the SEO specialist, since the frequency of requests for a PC and a smartphone is different. That is, for the same platform, you will need to assemble two different semantic kernels.
So, if you decide to do promotion, then the first thing to check is optimization for mobile devices. This can be done using some convenient tools that can easily be found on the Internet.
- Page Speed Insight – first, it checks how loyal the resource is to mobile users, then gives a list of recommendations that will help increase the convenience of customer interaction with the site.
- Fetch and Render – it will show the site through the eyes of a search bot, track the errors made during optimization and help to quickly fix them.
- Resizer – service that works with content. It will help you see how the information looks on the screen of your phone or tablet.
In the vastness of the network, you can find many more interesting applications and choose the most suitable for yourself.
- It is better to use a large font that will be easily perceived by the human eye from a small screen. If there is too much text, the “Continue” or “Learn more” button will perfectly play its role, behind which you can hide the main part.
- All page content should not “jump out” horizontally outside the screen.
- The enemy of the mobile version is voluminous advertising and often pop-ups that interfere with the normal reading of information.
Increase download speed
This indicator is very important. In the frantic rhythm of life, sometimes there are no extra seconds to wait until the page loads. Therefore, if you see that the site is freezing, check if all the scripts were collected in one document. You can also use asynchronous loading, which will help to establish interaction.
The version for the smartphone should contain all the same elements as the computer one.
- Same meta tags.
- Micro-marking (if applicable).
- Indexing content should not be duplicated.
Before you begin to work fully, you need to check the site on all devices. It would be foolish to look only on the phone and forget about the laptop and tablet. Unfortunately, there is often a problem that the smartphone shows everything perfectly, and on the other screens shows the well-known 404 error.
- We analyze the target audience. You can do this using Yandex.Metrica or Google.Analytics. In this case, we analyze demographics (gender, age), locations that give a greater number of transitions, which input devices are used, installed OS (iOS, Android, Windows Phone), time spent on the resource. This analysis will help as an advancement and point out problems that may be. For example, a user left a site very quickly. The question immediately arises, “What’s wrong?”. This will be an additional reason to once again test everything accurately.
- Design. In general, the simpler the better. Too “loaded picture” will open for a long time.
- Download speed. Do not allow the user to wait long at the door. This will cause your site to lose interest. And the search bot for such “jokes” on the head will not stroke. By all means, try to increase this indicator.
- Content. Filling should just fit on the screen. Write short and concise headlines to make them easy to read.
What conclusion can we draw from all the above? Firstly, we found out that neglect of the mobile version takes away the popularity of customers as well. Also, the site owner automatically loses profitable cooperation, potential partners. According to Runet, at the moment, mobile traffic is more than ¾ of the total volume. What is this talking about? Residents of the CIS give more and more preferences to smartphones and tablets, which means that the bulk of orders and requests are made through them.
If you have already optimized the resource for mobile versions, conduct an audit in order to identify the errors in time and eliminate them. It’s better to attract specialists who can clearly develop an individual strategy and in more detail can consider all the nuances. This also applies to development at the initial stage.
You do not want to lose more profits and customers? Call or write to us now. The money spent will quickly pay for itself and generate income. Perhaps now your earnings are not as great as we would like, precisely because of the loss of traffic due to the lack of competent adaptation.
And one more little tip for owners of online trading sites. This applies to shops, delivery services, service sites. An excellent solution will be not only optimization for smartphones, but also the development of special applications that will attract an additional client flow to you. Our experts will help solve any problem. Contact!